This course combines the basic theoretical concepts and techniques within translation with translation practice to provide individuals with a solid foundation of translation knowledge and experience to sit the Diploma in Translation exam.
This is course is available in English into all languages
Arabic, French, Italian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish into English.
|Course start date||Week commencing the 7th January 2019.|
|When can I apply?||Applications are open all year round. Deadline for applications is the 30th November.|
|Who is this course for?||This online preparatory course is ideal for:
• bilingual individuals who wish to pursue a career in translation, but do not have any experience in this field.
• candidates who are planning to sit the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIoL) DipTrans exams.
• those who wish to study in their own time and around other commitments.
|How long is the course?||1 Year – Part-Time – 3 Terms (see below)|
|What do I need?||• Excellent writing skills in your native language and near-native skills in your second language;
• Internet access and the latest version of Skype.
|What will I learn?
||Term 1 (Jan – Mar)
• Introduction to Translation Studies
Term 2 (May to July)
• Translation Theory II
Term 3 (October to December)
• Specialised Translation II (Science, Social Science and Law)
|What will I receive during the course?||• Access to our Students Area – our course platform that enables you to access all the course materials and to submit your coursework online;
• 18 translation assignments covering all units of the exam;
• Webinars covering theoretical concepts in translation
• Skype tutorials to receive feedback on your translations by a qualified and experienced tutor in your language combination;
• Certificate of completion (with mandatory completion of all translations and attendance of 85%).
|What topics are covered in the exam?||The CIoL DipTrans exam is divided into three units:
• Unit 01: General translation
• Unit 02: Semi-specialised translation (A: Technology, B: Business, C: Literature)
• Unit 03: Semi-specialised translation (D: Science, E: Social Science, F: Law)
Please note you will have to choose one option for each of the semi-specialised texts on the exam day.
|What will it cost?
(or instalments available at £650 per term)
Please contact us if you still have any questions.