This course is available in most languages, including:
Arabic, Farsi, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu and Vietnamese.
This is a one-to-one flexible course.
|Who is this course for?||This online preparatory course is suitable for candidates who have applied directly to the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIoL) to sit the DPI exam, or for those who live in London and wish to work with the Metropolitan Police (as the DPI replaces the Metropolitan Police Test).
It is recommended for experienced interpreters who are already familiar with police terminology.
This course allows you to study in your own time and around your commitments if you cannot attend a face-to-face course.
|What do I need?||• Native and near-native levels in both English and the other language
• Experience as a Police interpreter
• Ability to conduct autonomous study (research and weekly assignments)
• Fast internet access and the latest version of Skype
|What will I learn?||• You will practice the different Units of this exam (see topics below)
• You will practice role-plays, sight translations, statement taking and written translations
• You will be empowered with necessary techniques to tackle the DPI exam
• You will improve your research skills
|What will I receive during the course?||• Access to our Students Area – our course platform that enables you to access all the assignments and submit all your coursework online (Please note that there are no teaching materials on this short course)
• 10 tutorials of 1 hour each, covering interpreting practice and feedback on your assignments
• Feedback from a qualified and experienced tutor in your language combination, who will give you guidance and help you explore your strengths and weaknesses
• Past exam papers to practice in class
• Complimentary copy of The Interpreters’ Manual upon completing the course
• Certificate of Completion (with a mandatory attendance of 100%)
|What topics are covered?||• Unit 01: Consecutive interpreting and statement taking
• Unit 02: Simultaneous interpreting (whispered) from English into the other language
• Unit 03: Sight translation from English into the other language
• Unit 04: Translation of the statement into English
• Unit 05: Technical translation from English into the other language
|When can I enrol?
||Enrolment is open all year as this is a one-to-one flexible course. However, due to exams being held in June and November, we recommend taking this course 10 to 12 weeks prior to the exam date.|
|What will it cost?||£550|
Please contact us if you still have any questions.