This course is available in:
Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, Farsi, French, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Turkish & Urdu.
|Who is this course for?||This course is suitable for candidates who have applied directly to the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIoL) to sit the DPSI English Law exams, or for those who would like to improve their knowledge in the legal field.
This online preparatory course allows you to study in your own time and around your commitments if you cannot attend a face-to-face course.
|When does the course run?||This 30-week course runs twice a year; from October until June, and again in March until November in time to take the CIoL exams.
Applications can be sent to us throughout the year.
Classes are expected to start during the first week of March and October depending on the language groups.
|Am I ready to start this course?||All applicants will take part in an assessment on Skype to ensure they’re at the appropriate level to start this course.
Assessments take place 2 months prior to the course start date.
|What do I need?||• Native and near-native levels in both English and the other language
• Some interpreting experience (voluntary or otherwise)
• Ability to conduct autonomous study (research and weekly assignments)
• Reliable internet access and the latest version of Skype for your online tutorials
|What will I learn?||• You will become familiarised with both the English legal system and the legal system of the other language country
• You will learn other relevant topics (see topics covered below and compare with topics set up by the CIoL)
• You will practice interpreting skills with a qualified language tutor doing role-plays, sight translations and receive feedback on your written translations into both English and the other language, which will be marked according to the National Qualifications Framework Level 6
• You will learn to assess your own work
• You will be empowered with necessary knowledge and techniques to pass the DPSI exam
• You will learn to research and build your own glossary
|What will I receive during the course?||• Access to our Students Area – our course platform that enables you to access all lessons and reading materials as well as submit all your coursework online
• 30 weekly group tutorials, of 1 hour each, with a dedicated language tutor practicing consecutive and simultaneous interpreting skills and receiving feedback on translations
• 30 study group sessions with your colleagues, which allow students to revise and prepare for tutorials
• Over 100 assignments covering 7 modules (see topics below)
• Complimentary Glossary (if available in your language)
• Complimentary copy of The Interpreters’ Manual upon completion of the course
• Certificate of completion (if all required coursework is submitted and attendance is above 85%)
|What topics are covered?||• Module 1 – Types of Crime
• Module 2 – Police Powers & Procedures
• Module 3 – Courts
• Module 4 – Probation
• Module 5 – Immigration
• Module 6 – Civil & Family Law
• Module 7 – Local Government
|What will it cost?||£795|
Please contact us if you still have any questions.