This course is available yearly in the following languages:
Algerian, Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cantonese, Czech, Dari, Farsi, French, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Kurdish (Sorani) Latvian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Morrocan Darija, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Sinhalese, Slovak, Spanish, Turkish & Urdu.
We do offer other languages on demand. If you speak a rare language please enquire, we will find you a tutor.
|About the DPSI
||This course helps prepare candidates for the DPSI Law exams with the support of a dedicated language tutor in a group setting. It is suitable for:
- Interpreters who wish to work in the criminal justice system in the UK, including in the courts, the police, probation and immigration services.
- Candidates who need to improve their knowledge of specialised terminology before attempting the exams.
- This course is not suitable for beginners. Please check our Level 3 in Community Interpreting course if you do not have experience in interpreting.
The Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) is a nationally-recognised qualification that serves as a benchmark for professional standards in the interpreting profession. Passing the exam and obtaining this diploma entitles you to:
• Use the DPSI title after your name
• Apply to become registered on the National Register of Public Service Interpreters (NRPSI)
|Course dates and options
||Applications can be sent to us throughout the year. We have options to suit every candidate’s needs – please choose below the option that suits your circumstances.
- 3 students per class
- 30 sessions
- This 8-month course runs twice a year: March – November and October – June
- £855 (payment in 3 monthly instalments of £280 available)
| One-to-one course:
- 12 private sessions with a language tutor
- This course can be started at any time and can be completed within 6-8 months.
- £775 (payment in 8 monthly instalments of £95 is available)
- This course can be started at any time – study at your own pace
- This course has NO tutor support and is recommended to interpreters with extensive experience or a DPSI in another option.
- If you choose this option you do not need to complete a pre-course assessment.
To apply for the Self-Study course option click here.
|Resit course or Extra practise sessions:
- For candidates who want to practise more in one unit or wish to re-sit a unit of the DPSI Law exam
- 5 or 10 sessions with a language tutor (to be completed within 6 or 12 weeks, respectively)
- If you choose this option, you do not need to complete a pre-course assessment.
- Course fee: £295 or £495
To apply for the Resit course option click here.
|Students will work with:
- Learning materials covering the English legal system and the legal system of the other language country
- Assignments covering the modules mentioned below
- Practice sessions with a dedicated language tutor to practice interpreting and translating skills
- A complimentary Glossary (if available in your language)
- Students will receive a completion certificate (if all coursework is submitted and attendance is at 100%) and a complimentary copy of The Interpreters’ Manual
- Types of Crime
- Police Powers & Procedures
- Civil and Criminal Courts
- Probation and Prisons Services
- Civil & Family Law
- Local Government
|Applicants for options 1 and 2 will take part in a pre-course assessment to ensure that they are at the appropriate linguistic level for this course. The minimum requirements are:
- Native or near-native levels in both English and the other language;
- Adequate interpreting experience (voluntary or otherwise) – this course is not suitable for beginners;
- Ability to conduct autonomous study (research and weekly reading);
- Reliable internet access and the latest version of Skype for your online tutorials.
||Sitting the exam online:
- We are happy to announce that we have become an accredited online exam centre in the UK.
- As such, we offer the DPSI Law exam online. Our centre is accredited by TQUK.
- Exam price: £699 for all units.
Need more information? Contact us.
Step 1: ApplyStep 2: Pre-course AssessmentStep 3: Course Fee
Fill out and submit the application form to register your details for the course.
All applicants will take part in a pre-course assessment to ensure they display the necessary language and interpreting skills. The pre-course assessment costs £30 and is deducted from the course price upon enrolment. This fee is non-refundable.
Upon successfully passing the assessment, you will be directed to proceed with payment of the remainder of the course fee. We’ll be in touch with everything you need to get started on your course.