This course is available yearly in:
Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cantonese, Czech, Dari, Farsi, French, Hungarian, Italian, Kurdish (Sorani) Latvian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu & Vietnamese.
We do offer other languages on demand. If you speak a rare language please enquire, we will find you a tutor.
|About the DPSI
||The Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) is a nationally-recognised qualification that serves as a benchmark for professional standards in the interpreting profession. Passing the exam and obtaining this diploma entitles you to:
|Course dates and options
||Applications can be sent to us throughout the year. We have options to suit every candidate’s needs and payment in instalments is available – please choose below the option that suits your circumstances.
- Full preparatory 8-month course that runs twice a year: March – November and October – June
- 30 practice sessions
- 3 students per class
- Course fee: £855 (payment in 3 monthly instalments of £280 available)
|One-to-one tutoring course:
- 12 sessions with a language tutor
- This course can be started at any time
- Course fee: £775 (payment in 8 monthly instalments of £95 available)
- This course can be started at any time – study at your own pace
- This course has NO tutor support and is recommended to interpreters with extensive experience or a DPSI in another option. If you choose this option please do not proceed to submit a pre-course assessment.
- Course fee: £425
|Resit course or Extra practise sessions:
- For candidates who want to practise more in one unit or wish to re-sit a unit of the DPSI Health exam
- 5 or 10 sessions with a language tutor (to be completed within 6 or 12 weeks, respectively)
- If you choose this option please do not proceed to submit a pre-course assessment.
- Course fee: £295 or £495
To apply for the Resit course option click here.
|About this course
|This course helps prepare candidates for the DPSI Health exams with the support of a dedicated language tutor in a group setting. It is suitable for:
- Interpreters who wish to work in medical and healthcare settings in the UK
- Candidates who need to improve their knowledge of specialised terminology before attempting the DPSI Health exams
- This course is not suitable for beginners. Please check our Level 3 in Community Interpreting course if you do not have experience in interpreting.
|Students will work with:
- Learning materials covering the English healthcare system and the healthcare system of the other language country
- Assignments covering the modules mentioned below
- Practice sessions with a dedicated language tutor to practice interpreting and translating skills
- A complimentary Glossary (if available in your language)
- Students will receive a completion certificate (if all coursework is submitted and attendance is at 100%) and a complimentary copy of The Interpreters’ Manual
- Structure of the NHS and health professionals
- Sexual health and pregnancy
- The human body
- Oncology and palliative care
- Mental health
- Private healthcare
||Applicants for options 1 and 2 will take part in a pre-course assessment to ensure that they are at the appropriate linguistic level for this course. The minimum requirements are:
- Native or near-native levels in both English and the other language
- Adequate interpreting experience (voluntary or otherwise) – this course is not suitable for beginners
- Ability to conduct autonomous study (research and weekly reading)
- Reliable internet access and the latest version of Skype for your online tutorials
Need more information? Check our FAQs, read our student testimonials or visit the CIoL exam page for further details.
Please contact us if you still have any questions.
Step 1: ApplyStep 2: Pre-course AssessmentStep 3: Course Fee
Fill out and submit the application form to register your details for the course.
All applicants will take part in a pre-course assessment to ensure they display the necessary language and interpreting skills. The pre-course assessment costs £30 and is deducted from the course price upon enrolment. This fee is non-refundable.
Upon successfully passing the assessment, you will be directed to proceed with payment of the remainder of the course fee. We’ll be in touch with everything you need to get started on your course.