This is a one-to-one practical course, available in:
English into all languages
Arabic, French, Italian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish into English.
|Who is this course for?
||This online practical preparatory course is suitable for experienced translators who are planning to sit the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIoL) DipTrans exams, in order to become qualified translators. It allows you to study in your own time and around your commitments if you cannot attend a face-to-face course.
Other options available:
|How long is the course?
||This is a 10 session course that can be completed within 10 – 12 weeks.
|What do I need?
- Excellent writing skills in your native language and near-native skills in your other language
- Professional translation experience and discipline for autonomous learning
- Internet access and the latest version of Skype
|What will I learn?
- Your dedicated language tutor will help you hone your translation skills and improve your research skills
- Your tutor will mark your work according to the NQF Level 7 as per the CIoL guidance
- You will learn about the different exam units (see topics below)
- You will learn to assess your own work
- You will be empowered with the necessary knowledge and techniques to tackle the DipTrans exam
- You will learn to research and build your own glossary
|What will I receive during the course?
- Access to the Students Area – our online course platform that enables you to access the course materials
- Ability to conveniently submit all your coursework online on the course platform
- 10 translation assignments covering the exam units: 4 general papers and 6 semi-specialised papers
- 10 Skype tutorials of 30 minutes with a qualified and experienced tutor in your language combination
- During these sessions you will receive feedback on translations and guidance on improving your skills
- Certificate of Completion (100% requirement for coursework submission and attendance).
|What topics are covered in the exam?
||The CIoL DipTrans exam is divided into three units:
- Unit 01: General translation
- Unit 02: Semi-specialised translation (A: Technology, B: Business, C: Literature)
- Unit 03: Semi-specialised translation (D: Science, E: Social Science, F: Law)
Please note that you will have to choose one option for each of the semi-specialised texts on the exam day.
|What will it cost?
Need more information? Check our FAQs, read our student testimonials or visit the CIoL exam page for further details.
Please contact us if you still have any questions.
Step 1: ApplicationStep 2: Tutor ConfirmationStep 3: Course Fee
Fill out and submit the application form to register your details for the course.
As applications are open all year and the DipTrans exam takes place in January, we prefer to run this course starting in the Summer/Autumn period. That is when we will contact you to confirm that a tutor can take you on.
After a tutor is confirmed for you, you will be directed to proceed with the course fee by credit/debit card via PayPal or by BACS. After your payment is cleared, we’ll be in touch with everything you need to get started on your course.
Pre-Course Translation Evaluation Service £45
If you would like to know whether you are at the right level to take part in the DipTrans course, we offer an evaluation service. You will translate a text and a qualified and experienced tutor will mark it according to the NQF Level 7 as used by the CIoL.
To proceed, please choose one of the following language direction options: