All language combinations are accepted.
|Who is this course for?||This course is suitable for candidates who speak a language for which there is no DPSI exam, for those who wish to sit the DPI exam but need to improve their knowledge of specialised terminology related to police procedures, and for anyone who wishes to improve their knowledge of the criminal justice system. This intensive course allows you to study in your own time and around your commitments.|
|When does the course run?||This 6-week intensive course will run from August every year, according to demand.
• Applications can be sent to us from January 2017;
|What do I need?||• Native and near-native levels in both English and the other language;
• Some interpreting experience (voluntary or otherwise);
• Ability to conduct autonomous study (research and weekly assignments);
• Reliable internet access and the latest version of Skype for your online tutorials.
|What will I learn?||• You will learn and understand the English legal system, as well as the legal system of the other language country
• You will learn other relevant topics and skills related to the DPSI Law Option
• You will practice interpreting skills with a dedicated language tutor doing role-plays, sight translations and written translations into both English and the other language, which will be marked according to the National Qualifications Framework Level 6
• You will learn to assess your own work
• You will be empowered with necessary knowledge, skills and techniques to deliver professional interpreting services
• You will learn to research and build your own glossary
|What will I receive during the course?||• Access to our Students Area – our course platform that enables you to access all course materials and submit all your coursework online;
• 12 hours with an experienced tutor covering the modules and discussing topics;
• 12 hours with a language tutor practising consecutive and simultaneous interpreting, sight translations and receiving feedback on written translations;
• 24 assignments and 7 modules available in PDF format;
• Complimentary Glossary (if available in your language);
• Complimentary copy of The Interpreters’ Manual upon completion of the course;
• Certificate of completion (100% attendance is mandatory).
|What topics are covered?||• Module 1 – Types of Crime
(Offences Against the Person, Public Order offences, Drugs and related offences, Victims of Crime/Theft offences/Traffic offences, Interpreting Techniques, Note-taking)
• Module 2 – Police Powers & Procedures
• Module 3 – Courts
• Module 4 – Probation
• Module 5 – Immigration
• Module 6 – Civil Law
• Module 7 – Local Government
|What will it cost?||£595|