This course is available in:
French, Italian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian and Spanish.
New languages will be added shortly, please check this page regularly for updates.
|Who is this course for?||This course is suitable for candidates who have applied directly to the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIoL) to sit the DPSI English Health exams, or for those who would like to improve their knowledge in the medical field.
This online preparatory course allows you to study in your own time and around your commitments if you cannot attend a face-to-face course.
|How long is the course?||This is a 30 week course that runs from October until June, in time to take the CIoL exam.
• applications can be sent to us throughout the year;
• classes are expected to start on the 2nd or 9th October depending on the language groups.
|Am I ready to start this course?||Before the course begins, you will take part in an assessment over Skype in August or September, and submit a short translation from English into the other language to ensure you’re at the appropriate level for the course.|
|What do I need?||• Native and near-native levels in both English and the other language
• Some interpreting experience (voluntary or otherwise)
• Ability to conduct autonomous study (research and weekly assignments)
• Reliable Internet access and the latest version of Skype
|What will I learn?||• You will learn and understand the British healthcare system, as well as the healthcare system of the other language country
• You will learn other relevant topics (see topics covered below and compare with topics set up by the CIoL)
• You will practice interpreting skills with a dedicated language tutor doing role-plays, sight translations and written translations into both English and the other language, which will be marked according to the National Qualifications Framework Level 6
• You will learn to assess your own work
• You will be empowered with necessary knowledge and techniques to tackle the DPSI exam
• You will learn to research and build your own glossary
|What will I receive during the course?||• Access to our Students Area – our course platform that enables you to access all the course materials and submit all your coursework online
• 30 weekly group tutorials with a dedicated language tutor covering course modules, interpreting skills and feedback on translations
• 30 study group sessions, which allow students to revise and prepare for tutorials
• A dedicated qualified and experienced tutor in your language combination who will give you guidance throughout the year
• Over 100 assignments and 7 modules available in PDF format
• Complimentary Glossary (if available in your language)
• Complimentary copy of The Interpreters’ Manual upon completion of the course
• Certificate of completion (if your attendance is above 85%)
|What topics are covered?||• Module 1 – Structure of NHS & Health Professionals
(The Structure of the NHS/Health Centres/Hospitals/A&E, Health Professionals, Medical Tests)• Module 2 – Sexual Health & Pregnancy
(Sexual Health/STDs/HIV/AIDS, Family Planning, Child Birth & Immunisations)• Module 3 – Human Body I
(Respiratory System/Blood & Lymphatic System, Heart & Circulatory System)
• Module 4 – Human Body II
• Module 5 – Human Body III
• Module 6 – Oncology
• Module 7 – Mental Health & Private Healthcare
|What will it cost?||£725|
Please contact us if you still have any questions.